Wednesday 30 May 2007

TEA

TEA FOR TWO

Brisbane Pod has been on the hunt for the perfect breakfast since the recent visit to the tea house. Lo and behold there was great excitement when T2 caught my eye in a French deli. I spied on the box that it was Sri Lankan - top marks for that in my book.

The charming French proprietor stepped in to inform me that the English Breakfast was excellent. How could I not but take his word for it. After all, the French virtually made tea drinking fashionable during the 17th and 18th centuries. $10.95 for 100g hardly seemed expensive after his recommendation.

Later, in a quiet moment, I found myself studying what was on the back of the box and wondering if it indeed had been such a great buy. Sadly, I was to be disappointed. It was a blended tea and very black in the cold light of day. Then the word "coppery" to describe the colour of the brew sent a warning bell ringing that suggested to me that this was, besides being blended, a low altitude tea.

The quest for an unblended high altitude breakfast tea containing compounds known as theaflavins and thearubigens which offer the same health benefits as those attributed to green tea will continue.

Stay tuned!